Hello! I hope everyone had a good reading break! This week as we approach the midterm, I have been focusing on learning my second ukulele song “Hakuna Matata” from the hit Disney film, “The Lion King”. When I originally picked this song to learn, I thought it would be a good song to challenge my abilities because it had a few more notes than my first song. However, the song is quite short and I have picked it up quite quickly. The chords for this song include the following: C, F, G, D, G7, Am. Since this song has a simple strumming pattern, I am focusing on making smooth chord transitions between notes. 

I have also decided to learn a third song before the midterm as I believe I can challenge myself. The third song I chose was “Kiss the Girl” from The Little Mermaid. What I like about this song is that it only has 3 chords  (C, G, F) but has a quicker tempo compared to the other two songs. Currently, I am working on singing and playing at the same time. The strumming pattern is the same in this song as it is in “Someone to Lava” which is helping to reaffirm my confidence in my playing. I chose these first three songs because they are all from Disney movies and are familiar to children. 

The most challenging part of this musical growth plan has been gaining the confidence to play and sing at the same time. I have been practicing about 3 times a week to improve my skills. I hope that for the second half of the semester, I can continue to improve my strumming patterns and learn the song “Mamma Mia”.

– Ms. G 🙂