Welcome back to another exciting blog of me attempting to learn how to play the ukulele. Over the past few weeks, I began practicing the first of the three songs that I had set out to learn in my musical growth plan. 

The first song “Someone to Lava” comes from the Disney Pixar animated short film called “Lava” which can be found in the link above. I was inspired to learn this song as it has a sweet happy melody and sends a positive message to students. When I originally looked into the notes of this song, the easiest version was written to include the notes “C, F, G7”. After I practiced those three notes, I discovered there was another version of the song that required 5 notes, “C, F, G, G7, C7”. I then decided to attempt this version and found that the 2 extra notes provided more dynamic to the overall piece. I am currently working on adding the strumming pattern of “DD UU DU” as well as increasing my tempo to match the original speed of the piece. Furthermore, I still am having trouble holding the ukulele in the correct position. I find that while I am transitioning between notes, the ukulele slips out of place and my right arm cannot keep it pinched in place. To improve this, I have been practicing the ukulele while standing so I do not rely on my lap to support it.  

Over the next few weeks before the midterm, I will continue to practice “Someone to Lava” and also begin to learn the notes to “Hakuna Matata”. I had originally hoped to have learned both of these songs before the midterm, but I think I will most likely be able to fully master the first song and still be learning the second song by that date. 

– Ms. G 🙂