My Education Journey

Topic #2 Blog Post

The evolution of the various theoretical trends in the educational system across the past decade has shaped the way in which we approach teaching and learning today.  Prior to this topic, I had studied some of the theories presented by historians, but now, I can see how their theories have changed, and apply to learners. Growing up as a student in BC, I had the opportunity to participate in some online learning, which allowed me to gain some insight into the possibilities of open education. 

In the first reading, Roberts et al. (2018) describe open educational practices as the “ability to enable educators and students to learn with and from each other through sharing and remixing the content they co-create” (p.527). The concept of distributed learning spurs from ideas proposed by historians such as John Dewey (1938) who believed “learning for all in democratic spaces and posited that it was the role of educational institutions to support and build learning experiences within these learning environments” (Roberts et al., 2018, p.528). Dewey wanted schools to be collaborative spaces for students to work, which is a critical aspect of open and distributed learning today. Moreover, the article defines open education practices as described by Butcher and Wilson-Strydom, as they highlight the 8 main principles:

1. learner-centeredness 
  2. lifelong learning 
  3. flexibility in learning 
  4. removal of barriers to access
  5. recognition of prior learning experiences and current competencies
  6. learner support
  7. expectations of success
  8. cost-effectiveness

(Roberts et al., 2018, p.529)

These principles demonstrate how open learning could be used to develop distance learning. Open learning allows students to excel beyond the traditional access in a classroom and explore resources not normally accessible. With the development of technology, our ability to connect, share and support other learners can go far beyond the classroom limits. The article also identifies the four levels of sharing in Open Education:

• Macro – global level (Will I share openly?)
  • Meso – community/network level (Who will I share with?)
  • Micro – individual level (Who will I share as?)
  • Nano – interaction level (Will I share this?)

(Roberts et al., 2018, p.531-532)

I think it is important for each learner to consider these levels and how much they want to share with others in an open learning context. There is a concern in schools that open learning does not comply with the FIPPA guidelines and teachers must be considerate of that. In the second article, Barbour and Labonte (2018) discuss the importance of eLearning in Canada and how provincial “ministries develop their curriculum to respect the unique geography, history and culture of their regions”(p.601). I was surprised to hear that BC has almost 70,000 students registered in online courses (Barbour & Labonte, 2018, p.606). Online learning allows students from around the country to connect helps students have equal opportunities that may not have been possible due to barriers such as location.  

Photo by Headway on Unsplash

Furthermore, we learned about the four major learning theories: Behaviourism, Cognitivism, Constructivism, and Connectivism. According to Bates (2014), he states that behaviourism has an“emphasis on rewards and punishment as drivers of learning, and on pre-defined and measurable outcomes”(para 13). In regards to open and distributed learning, behaviourism does not support connectivity. The theory of cognitivism focuses on the understanding of student “thought, decision-making, emotions, and the ability to express ideas through social discourse” (Bates, 2014, para 16). This contrasts with the concept of constructivism which also values student emotions but suggests the learner “consciously strive for meaning to make sense of their environment in terms of past experience and their present state” (Bates, 2014, para 31). I would agree that one of the best forms of learning is having students reflect on their experiences and use that knowledge for the future. The final theory, connectivism, is a relatively new concept where the teacher’s role is to “provide the initial learning environment and context that brings learners together and to help learners construct their own personal learning environments” (Bates, 2014, para 40). I believe that this is the direction education is heading in, especially as educators start to value inquiry-based learning and have students be at the forefront of their learning journey. I am curious to learn more about Connectivism, and how we as educators can exemplify this type of educational system.

– Ms. G 🙂

Barbour, M & Labonte, R. (2018) An Overview of eLearning Organizations and Practices in Canada. In R. Ferdig & K. Kennedy (Eds.), Handbook of research on K-12 online and blended learning (pp. 600-616). Pittsburgh, PA: Carnegie Mellon University ETC Press.

Bates, T.(2014). Learning Theories and Online Learning. [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://www.tonybates.ca/2014/07/29/learning-theories-and-online-learning/.

Roberts, V. [Verena Roberts]. (2020, July 10). Topic 2 EDCIA04 [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Nek-T4vFw&feature=emb_logo

Roberts, V. , Blomgren, C. Ishmael, K. & Graham, L. (2018) Open Educational Practices in K-12 Online and Blended Learning Environments. In R. Ferdig & K.Kennedy (Eds.), Handbook of research on K-12 online and blended learning (pp. 527–544). Pittsburgh, PA: Carnegie Mellon University ETC Press.

The Audiopedia [The Audiopedia]. (2018, March 20). What is OPEN LEARNING? What does OPEN LEARNING mean? OPEN LEARNING meaning & explanation [Video]. Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFoFIegEx7c

Previous

Topic #1 Blog Post

Next

Topic #3 ~ Blog Post

1. alexamclean

Feedback for EDCI 339:
    I really enjoyed your post! You had many key points from the readings and you stitched them together well. I also enjoyed your video to further define open learning. Some suggestions for improvement would be to read over it once more, as there were a few sentences that had an extra word or a missing comma. This would help clarify your claims. Overall, I think you did a great job using the articles to support your answer to the prompt. Well done!

2. laurenmclean

Feedback for EDCI 339:
    Your post was really well laid out and you were able to weave all of the readings into one seamless, flowing post! I liked that you touched on the FIPPA compliancy when talking about the levels of sharing in open ed. As an elementary teacher this will be a very necessary thought process and discussion with students. Overall I thought the post did a good job of summarizing, analyzing and adding personal anecdotes. Some things to think about if you were too revise this post is the length and maybe talking less about the teaching strategies. Also when talking about Dewey you first claimed he supported distributed learning and then claimed he supported both open and distributed learning. Clarifying this idea may be helpful to the reader! Great work!

3. sarahbjelde

Wow, Heather, I loved your blog post this week! I really appreciate how in the first paragraph you said that you participated in online learning here in BC—it reminded me that I also did the same! I did PE 10 online (if you can believe that is possible!). Maybe if I use this blogpost as my redo for assignment 3, I will add that in. Thanks for inspiring me! Back to your post, the embedding of a video on open learning allowed the reader to refresh their own knowledge of the topic before diving in and reading your ideas on the subject. The way that you concisely summarized each article and blended them together was truly stunning—and you even added in information about FIPPA! One thing that could make this post even better would be to do an extra glance over at the end and make sure there aren’t any random commas/extra words in some of the sentences. It will make your posts look even more professional. All in all, amazing work this week Heather. Can’t wait to read more!