Alexa McLean’s Blog

First off, I would like to comment on the overall appearance of your blog post. The use of images and headings acted as a “hook” that engaged my interest while reading your comments. After reading your blog, I am inspired to reflect on my own experiences in the classroom, especially in regard to multimedia learning prior to using digital devices. I loved your connection to Mayer’s “Talk-and-Chalk” theory and how picture books were an essential part of developing your learning. I think reading storybooks correlates perfectly to the concepts written in the reading “Cognitive Theory of Multimedia Learning” by Stephen Sorden. The author discussed how CTML is supported by “a model that includes three memory stores known as sensory memory, working memory, and long-term memory” (Sorden, 2012). Stories go through all three memories stores as students first learn the new information (sensory), process it and connect it (working), then remember the story for future use (long-term). Teachers often rely on stories as a way to engage students in a lesson as stories often teach some sort of moral or lesson. It is so important to use books so students can relate and reflect on their own experiences which inevitably improves their ability to learn. 

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

– Ms. G 🙂

Sorden, S. D. (2012). The cognitive theory of multimedia learning. Handbook of educational theories1, 3.