Hey everyone! This past week we learned how to use the platform Trello. This was my first time using the website and overall I found it highly successful. As a person who likes to keep organized lists of my assignments, I can see the potential of using Trello in my future career. The design of Trello allows users to view lists on an open page and easily see what you need to complete. One feature that I found beneficial on Trello was the use of the “Checklist” function. This function allows you to see the percentage of how much you have completed on a specific list of tasks. 

While I personally feel that Trello can be a beneficial resource, I worry that keeping track through another platform may lead to confusion on either the Teacher’s behalf or the students. I often choose to write down my tasks on a piece of paper, and moving towards a digital form of an agenda will be a personal challenge for me. I know I currently do not login to Trello everyday whereas I constantly look at my agenda. 

Another topic we discussed during class today was the documentary “Most Likely To Succeed” which showed an alternative approach to schooling that focuses on student exploration of their own interests. I found the documentary very eye-opening towards some of the current problems in traditional education practices. However, during my discussion with my classmate Casey, she brought up the fact that these types of schools do not take into consideration students with disabilities. This type of environment works for students who have strong self-regulation skills, but many students would not adapt well to this system. I feel that primary students from grades K-3 would not succeed in this type of school as they have not yet developed self-regulation skills. A 6-year-old needs structure to learn important life skills before allowing them free-range to study whatever they want. 

I feel that our current education system is moving towards a more inquiry-based approach to learning. With elementary age students, I believe we as teachers can offer more choice in our classes in regards to content and work environment. We must continue working towards making our classes flexible and functional for the needs and abilities of all students.

-Ms. G 🙂